Home Maintenance Tips
Protect Your Home and Your Investment!
Your house is more than the place where you live, it's your home and your most important investment. Carrying out a regular program of maintenance and repairs can help you protect that investment, and help keep your family safe and sound in every season.
Some of these tasks include:
- Check and clean or replace your furnace filters on a monthly basis during the heating season.
- Have your furnace or heating system serviced by a qualified service company.
- Vacuum electric baseboard heaters to remove dust, remove the grilles on forced-air heating systems and vacuum inside the ducts.
- If you have a heat recovery ventilator (HRV), clean the outside air intake grill, the filters inside the unit, and the core, and pour water down the condensate drain to test it.
- Have well water tested for quality.
- Check the sump pump and line to ensure proper operation. There should be no line obstructions or visible leaks.
- Ensure that the ground around your home slopes away from the foundation wall to prevent water from draining into the basement.
- Clean leaves from eavestroughs and downspouts to ensure proper drainage from the roof, and check chimneys for nests or other obstructions.
- In the fall, cover the outside of air conditioners, and drain and store outdoor hoses. Close the valve to the outdoor hose connection, and drain the faucet (unless it is frost proof).
Customer benefits of installing new high efficiency equipment:
- Increase value in their homes.
- Savings on heat and electric bills.
- Better indoor air quality.
- No more "Nickel and Diming" with old broken down systems.